Friday, September 22, 2006

Disconnected

I picked up Simon from daycare yesterday because Rich was working up north until late in the evening. I hadn't been to pick him up or drop him off since he has transferred up to the "Thumpers" class (for the three-year-olds). Because we have one car which Rich takes to work - it's just easier for Simon to be picked up and dropped off by his dad since it takes me up to an hour to get there from my work. So this means that his educators all know Rich pretty well but don't see me that often. I wish it were different because I like to keep a close eye on how things are going there, snoop around the classroom, talk to his educators, other parents etc. Rich gives me a typical 'male' version of Simon's day. I ask "how did he do?" Rich says "fine." And then I pry into how much did he eat, sleep, did he listen, throw tantrums? I only get a glimpse of a third eye view into Simon's life at daycare. I attend all of the parent teacher events and evaluations etc. so I do get my time in but I wish I was better connected.

Yesterday, I finally met his new educators. They shook my hand and looked me up and down. I got the impression they think Rich and I are separated and I'm the distant mother. Some other parents had actually asked me if Rich and I lived together and if Simon lived with me or not. I guess because they don't see me picking him up they think I'm the estranged, disconnected mamma. Lordy if they only knew.

I asked Simon's teachers how he was doing in the new class. They kind of tilted their head from side to side and said "okay". I know this means bad news. I've seen it before. They told me all the new kids (which is 3/4 of the class) are having trouble transitioning and are taking longer to adapt. I'm not sure what this means really as both girls' shifts were done and I could tell they were dying to get out of there. They said he has good days and bad days - the bad days are when he doesn't listen. He's not as independant as they'd like him to be - in that he doesn't put his coat and shoes on well by himself and asks for help in the bathroom. Is it me, or am I the only one who noticed that he's THREE? We do encourage him to dress himself and MY LORD I would love nothing more than to have those extra three minutes in the morning where I'm not wrangling him into his clothes - BUT - he's just not there yet. I have to keep reminding myself that they have 24 kids in their care and probably want their independance sped up as much as possible. Regardless though, to me, kids are kids and when they are this young - their behaviour and habits are still pretty unpredictable. I always get such a caca feeling when I leave there. Guilty, discontented, disatisfied. I want to know EVERYTHING but always leave without my questions really being answered. Daycare blues. Working Mommies out there - I know you know exactly what I'm talking about.

Because it's Friday - let's end on a higher note here with some of Simon's latest expressions. He's taken to saying "Sorry, it was an accident" when he does something wrong. Most of the time, it's actually true - like when he clocked me in the face with his sippy cup during morning cuddle time, or when he spills his juice etc. BUT he's using it when things are very obviously NOT an accident. Like when he took apart Rich's big flashlight into a bazillion pieces, "Sorry Daddy, it was an accident." Or when he coloured the first page of one of my cookbooks with black marker.

1 Comments:

At 6:29 AM, Blogger Lisa Durbin said...

Oh for crying out loud - what do they expect from a 3 year old? Book reports neatly handwritten and the ability to crochet?? My friend's little girl is three and she's only just learning how to use the potty. Kids do things at their own pace. Ffffffft.

Have you thought about using another daycare? I understand the guilt thing as a fellow working mummy, but it sounds like the daycare workers aren't filling you with confidence. :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home