Monday, December 10, 2007

Goodbye Mary

I write this post with a very heavy heart. We lost one of this world's best souls on Monday, November 26. Maria Nitka Slowik, my dear mother in law, lost her battle with cancer and now rests in peace.

We all have so many nice memories of her - I loved all the stories that she used to tell me about her childhood in Poland, her first years in Canada and especially the stories about Richard and his siblings when they were kids. She was one of the toughest people I've ever met but her hands were always warm and soft, her hugs were always strong and her love was endless.

These past couple of years involved a very bad stroke, recovery and rehab, ovarian cancer, chemotherapy, a broken foot, orthopaedic surgery, rehab again and then lung and liver cancer. She remained a soldier through it all.

We were all shaken by the news, but seeing her suffer this past month was more than any one could take. She'd been through enough and knowing she is at peace now provides us with some small relief.

My heart breaks for Rich and his siblings who have become orphans in less than a year.

We will miss her more than I could ever express here.

4 Comments:

At 4:18 PM, Blogger dina (Lucas' mom) said...

Cynthia,
I never got to personally tell you how sorry I am to hear about Richard's mom passing. I hope that things get easier as days go by and that you know that she is still with you ~ only now she is no longer suffering.

tight hugs to you and Rich,
Dina

 
At 11:13 PM, Blogger Annie Ruok said...

Beautiful post, Cynth, it brought tears to my eyes. I'll miss Mary's sense of humour & cherish the stories of how she made everyone laugh ("special sausage", "I don't smoke...!") - Rich & his siblings were very lucky to have been raised by such a kind-hearted soul.

 
At 4:08 PM, Blogger Cynthia said...

thank you so much dina. that means so much to us.

jenn, the 'special sausage' story is the BEST.

 
At 9:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've very late with this comment but I haven't been to your blogspot in such a long time.

My deepest condolences to you and Rich's family. Losing a parent is tough but to lose both in such a long time is horrendous. Rich is blessed to have such a strong woman like you in his life.

Your post was a wonderful tribute to his mother.

Love
Kelly

 

Post a Comment

<< Home